Put Your Faith In A Law Firm You Can Trust

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Firm News
  4.  » How to report police abuse

How to report police abuse

Each year, thousands of police abuse and rights violations are reported in the United States. If you were falsely arrested or otherwise had your civil rights violated in New Mexico, there are ways to report the abuse you experienced. Knowing the proper procedure for reporting police abuse can minimize your legal and financial risk while simultaneously helping protect you and your family.

Organizing your evidence

Filing a complaint or report against an officer of the law may feel intimidating and stressful, especially if you are worried about retaliation. In order to improve the odds of settling the case in your favor, organizing and collecting evidence is a must whenever possible.

If you have photographic or video evidence, be sure to duplicate and organize it to show to other officers and a judge in a court of law. Collect witness statements as well as other documentation to prove any mental or physical injuries that you sustained, including medical records and reports from therapists or other physicians you have since visited.

Filing a report

When you are ready, it is possible to file a police report directly online in the Albuquerque, New Mexico, area. If you believe that you are a victim of a civil rights violations, you may need to speak to an officer or authority figure who is above your local police, especially if you are having difficulty getting anywhere with your specific complaint.

Working with legal representation

Whenever there are civil rights violations involving the police or other authority figures, it is highly advisable to work alongside a professional legal team. Having legal representation may help streamline the process of your case while providing maximum protection.

Knowing how to report police abuse in New Mexico may help you avoid unfair charges and treatment regardless of any criminal act you might have engaged in. You deserve fair treatment under the law no matter the circumstances.